Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Garlic and Apple
Published: August 4, 2013
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, or to taste
- 2-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 green apples, peeled, cut in wedges and sautéed in butter until soft
- 1-1/2 quart chicken stock
- Melt the butter in a large flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the onion and salt, to taste.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken stock, apples and squash and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender.
- Puree the mixture in a blender in batches.
- Return the mixture to the pan and return to a boil.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Serve immediately.